What Is A NAMI Support Group?
NAMI offers support groups at no cost. We have groups for people with mental health conditions as well as for their families. Support groups are led by trained facilitators. They are a safe, confidential place to share hopes and concerns, and also to find resources and new ways to cope.
Groups are guided by NAMI’s Principles of Support:
- We will see the individual first, not the illness.
- We recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers.
- We understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events.
- We aim for better coping skills.
- We find strength in sharing experiences.
- We reject stigma and do not tolerate discrimination.
- We won’t judge anyone’s pain as less than our own.
- We forgive ourselves and reject guilt.
- We embrace humor as healthy.
- We accept we cannot solve all problems.
- We expect a better future in a realistic way.
- We will never give up hope.
NAMI Support Groups do not require registration and are always offered free of charge.